Sunday, June 25, 2006

Notes from the undisclosed location

I forgot just how much apartment-complex living sucks. I already miss the sidewalks and trees of our "old" neighborhood -- seems so strange to call it that when we're so close and still have recycling in there -- and having a grocery store around the corner.

Not that I can't walk to Whole Foods now, but it's too far to just run over if we need something. It's just far enough to where I have to plan it out ahead of time if I want to walk.

And the walls are pretty thin here, surprisingly. K and our host are heavy sleepers, so it doesn't bother them, but I can't fall asleep with any noise. Oddly, once asleep, noises don't wake me up. And someone downstairs keeps playing the same music over and over again, and on our first night was holding some sort of party/illegal daycare with a pack of manic children running around screaming, laughing and banging into anything that vibrates up to our apartment.

But, I was the only one who noticed.

Not sure where we'll end up yet after our Big Adventure, but I already know what kind of neighborhood to live in. If we can only afford a condo, it has to at least have thick walls. And sidewalks. And something to actually walk to.

No comments: