Thursday, June 14, 2007

Chunky Monkies

I don't think it's okay to just make fun of fat people. As a former "person of heavier stature," I can recall the way some people treated me, especially in school.

But, a little shame goes a long way. Like today, in the breakroom at the office where I'm temping. Someone announced that there was leftover ice cream and pizza from a day camp they are running this week, and it didn't take much for the breakroom to fill up.

I waited a while before leaving the confines of my work area to fill my water bottle so the crowds would die down. Even then there were still people milling about, and above the music on my ipod I could clearly hear more than one person say "Oh, I shoudn't ..." then do it anyway.

Self control is not a bad thing. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to the ice cream place around the corner to silently judge all the fat people in line in front of me.

No comments: