Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Texans I don't hate

I could probably count on one hand the number of Texans I like, and James McMurtry definitely makes the cut. I first heard his roots rock on WNCW back in our Asheville days (sigh), and loved his rollicking music and intricate lyrics.

Thank god for the Web. I just learned on WNCW's online stream that he's releasing a new album, "Childish Things," on Spetember 6. It includes We Can't Make It Here, a great song available for download on his official Web site (no lawbreakers here!).

Download it only if you want to buy his album, because you won't be able to say no once you hear it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's very tempting! I've lost touch with the music world, especially if it's not on the radio (which is most unfortunate). I just now got around to buying fellow UNCCers the Avett Bros.'s "Mignonette."

Have you ever heard of Loose Music? I'm not sure if they're a label or a promotion company or what, but their compilation albums have a lot of good roots, alt-country, newgrass, etc. Stuff I think you'd dig. I vaguely remember visiting their web site at some distant age, and I thought it was great. I think they've been around a while, so you've probably heard of them.

Past compilations have included the likes of Bright Eyes, Cowboy Junkies, and Knife in the Water, if that's any indication.

I'll definately check out McMurty, though.