Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Brave New World

Move over Rand McNalley.

For BD, Google Scholar was a big hit, but I have to admit that I'm hooked on Google Earth.

Man, this is something. I can fly around the Grand Canyon, Manhattan, Antacrtica, you name it. Not every city has 3D buildings yet, but the natural features, like the mountains around Asheville, are awesome.

I know it's weird, but hear me out.

Dad travelled for a living, so maps were a big part of growing up. Not just because of the ever-growing collection of maps left over from from his travels, but also from wondering about all those exotic places he went to, like El Salvador, Israel, Little Rock.

On family trips, my sister and I were the navigators. I'm sure our directions were useless at first; we were probably given maps just to keep us busy. But we learned, and as we did so, our fascination grew. They tell stories, they fire the imagination.

What can I say?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't used Google Earth yet. One day I'm going to get on and play with it, though. I'll definately take your advice on the N.C. mountains and the Grand Canyon. That's a great idea.