Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Go Panthers! World Cup Champions!

Some folks seem surprised to find I am a Panthers fan.

So am I.

I have no idea what's happening on the field most of the time -- as with most sports. But, as long as Jake Delhomme keeps hitting those homeruns and Steve Smith makes a few three-pointers, I'm happy.

I never really cared much when the team came to Charlotte. It was nice to know we had one more thing to check off our World Class City checklist (NFL team, Museums, Skyscrapers, NASCAR Hall of Fame ...) but otherwise, I was underwhelmed.

Until the 2003 Super Bowl.
Playoff fever hits hard, and watching the Panthers beat St. Louis and shut down the fans in Philadelphia pulled me in.

And when I saw how this one team could bring together an entire statefull of people from all walks of life, I realized why so many people buy logos and paint themselves -- not that you'll ever see me in blue and black bodypaint.

And now that I live in a whole new region of the country, where crab is considered a food group and people make fun of Southerners, the Panthers provide a strong connection to my old Carolina home.

So let's hope things go well in Seattle this Sunday, and we'll see y'all in Detroit.

No comments: