Saturday, March 08, 2008

Mine eyes have seen the grime

last month I finally got contacts. This may seem rather vain and materialistic for me, but there is a greater purpose. We've read a lot about how people who want Lasik surgery should try out contacts first to see if you get dry eyes or other discomfort. You can always take out a contact, but surgery is forever.

This whole experiment almost ended as soon as it began. I crammed my left contact up under my eyelid somehow on the first day, then suffered through four days of headaches and blurry focus at work from all the reading I have to do there, finally taking out the contacts in the men's room at work on Friday. I went back to the eye doctor, and she gave me a different brand of contact, and suddenly, everything came together. I'm starting to wonder if maybe she made a mistake and just didn't want to say anything.

Unlike the last pair, it almost feels like I'm not wearing contacts. So now I can go about my day without many of the inconveniences of los lentes, but also without the blissful ignorance. For instance, do you know just how gross the shower stalls are in the men's locker room at the Lake View YMCA? Maybe you already knew, since you don't wear glasses, but I only just found out. At least we each get our own stall ...

But the good seems to outweigh the bad, so far. There's nothing to fog up when I pull my scarf over my nose in the cold, and rain and snow don't blind me when I walk to the train. I want to go to Six Flags now so I can ride a roller coaster without putting a death grip on my glasses.

1 comment:

Mamadou said...

Hi there Ryan, it's been too long since I checked your blog, much less wrote to you. It's hard to imagine you in contact lenses, but I'm glad you eventually got a pair that fit! Drop me a line some time. I'm finishing up grad. school this year. 'Bout time!

John