Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Top Ten Ways to Topple a Presidency

Lewis Lapham's columns in Harper's have, since the tragedy of November 04, been my monthly dose of depression and angst. Each issue carries with it a torrent of well-crafted gloom and doom to bring the house, and the spirits of right-thinking liberal folks, crashing down long just enough for the next issue to arrive.

Not that I disagree with anything the esteemed Mr. Lapham says. Bush a liar? Yep. Corporations too powerful? Amen, brother. But for God's sake, man, give us options!

That's what I like about the Utne Reader. Sure, they're a little crunchy and Shiny Happy People, but they are goal-oriented. They don't just whine and moan about the state of the world. They go out and do something about it. Top Ten Ways you can:

Make Old People Smile
Turn Old Junk Into Useful Household Items
Build Your Own Hydrogen Car

I mean, yeah Lewis, I'm with you. Bush has committed high crimes and misdemeanors. He needs to be Impeached, with a capital I. We get it. Really. Now tell us how we might go about doing it! If I wanted gloom and doom, I'd go back to UNCA and listen to one of Dr. West's lectures. He, at least, was funny.

No comments: