Tuesday, April 25, 2006

It's a gas, gas, gas

Boy, how about them gas prices, huh?

Bet you wish you hadn't bought that Jeep Grande Escalade Valdez.

I'm not much for gloating, but as bad as things are, I'm glad we had the foresight to buy a Prius back before they were popular. Not only did we get a great deal on the car in December 2002, but we'd have to wait 8 months to buy one today.

Folks said we'd never get the money back from gas savings. That was when gas cost about half what it does now. I mean, we're all hurting here, but I have to say I'm hurting less than a lot of folks I know.

High gas prices force people to pay attention. People talk about hybrids and transit all of a sudden, as if they'd never heard of them before. Unfortunately, most of these same people will go back to their SUVs and forget the bus and train if gas drops just 50 cents.

Thing is, it's going to go back up again. And we'll be right back where we are now, thinking about hybrids and transit, but doing nothing about it.

Long-term thinking. Try some today.

No comments: