Monday, May 01, 2006

A Day Without a Mexican ...

A Colombian
An Ecuadorian
A Guatemalan
Etc.

So the big day has come and I'm at work. Yeah.

We had some vague plans to skip work and ride the train down to DC today, but sort of wimped out at the last minute.

Such is the life of a working adult, I guess.

But, in solidarity with our immigrant brothers and sisters, I will be doing as little work as possible today and will spend no money.

I will also be reading the news vociforously today to find out the absolute latest on the nationwide protests.

Furthermore, I will attempt to decifer the grammatical rules that make "si se puede" mean "Yes we can." According to my limited espanol, wouldn't that be "Si podemos"?

No se.

3 comments:

Mamadou said...

Hi Ryan, greetings from an old friend.

I can help you with that grammatical dilemma. In Spanish, the passive voice generally and also many verbs in an intransitive, impersonal sense are construed through reflexive constructions. "Si, se puede" means, "Yes, it can (itself)," which means, rendered in normal English, "Yes, it is possible." "Yes, we can," is a friendlier, personal translation, though not literally exact. Impersonal constructions are much more common in Spanish and the other Romance languages; a literal translation would give the expression inappropriate stiffness.

tecki said...

Man, I had a feeling it was you.

How are you?

Thanks for the grammar!

Mamadou said...

Munich has been treating me very well. While work on the dissertation has been proceeding, if slowly, I've been making the most out of my time here. I don't really want to go back, but what can you do?

I created this blog account a few days ago in order to comment on others, but I decided I might also post some of the more interesting things I've been reading in my spare time. I have some excerpts from the writings of Abraham Lincoln there now that will interest you, if you find the time to read them.

Talk to you later!