Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Take me out to the ball game

Having only recently become enamored of the Beautiful Game, I've noticed plenty of anti-soccer sentiment on this side of the Atlantic and Rio Grande. Soccer's certainly not for everyone. I haven't thought about it myself since elementary school. But the amazing vitriol people in the states spew towards futbol ranges on the absurd.

Many of them complain that soccer is boring. But that can't be it, because plenty of good ol' American sports are boring, too. Chief among them Baseball. After all, you can say soccer is just a bunch of guys running around without scoring, but Baseball is just a bunch of guys standing in the heat waiting for something to happen. Seems to me that Lacrosse is just rich Mid Atlantic prep schoolers hitting each other with big sticks. And I'll never understand the obsession with watching people play Poker on TV.

But people can openly enjoy those games without fear of reprisal.

The problem lies, unfortunately, in the fact that Europeans love it. I mean, they Love it. Oh, and all those brown folks stealing our fruit-picking and janitorial jobs. So the equation is obvious, if you love soccer, you must hate America. And you're gay. Definitely. Gay and a democrat. A gay, Spanish-speaking democratic terrorist. Who hates America.

Or that's the impression I get online. I say we should live and let live. I mean, at least the World Cup actually involves the World, while the World Series theoretically involves two countries, but usually only one.

BTW: Go Red Sox!

No comments: