Sunday, October 07, 2007

Your T-Shirt is so Ironic!

Southwest Airline's wardrobe police have been busy lately, having already told two women to cover up their apparently skimpy outfits before boarding a plane. A couple of sad moments for an airline that started with stewardesses in miniskirts and gogo boots.

Now a guy has been acosted, thist time not for showing too much skin but for the words on his T-Shirt.

I have to admit, my collection of ironic printed Ts is pretty extensive, but I've made the effort to keep the words and images I walk around in at the G-Rated level. I've seen plenty of guys walking around with words and pictures printed on their chests that would make a sailor blush. And if I had kids, I wouldn't want them to see these words everywhere they go.

What really bothers me about the Master Baiter T-Shirt is not simply the vulgar inuendo, but the fact that the guys who buy them think 1) I'm so clever and/or 2) I'm expressing myself.

First, unless you actually printed the shirt yourself, you aren't clever. And it's not even that funny anyway. And what are you expressing, anyway? Your middle school sense of humor?

I don't know if it's really Southwest's job to police our clothing, but I'm glad someone has brought attention to the fact that some of these shirts are just plain wrong. Just because we can print just about any vulgar, crude thing on our clothing, doesn't mean we should. it takes all the fun out of the better shirts.

No comments: